Sunday, September 11, 2016

Where is Kristin Now?

When I was first invited to join Twelve by Twelve, I was living in Germany. Halfway through our Theme Series, my family and I moved to Hawai'i. And then during our 20x12 Series, we moved to Virginia. As of one year ago, we've joined two other Twelves, Terry and Gerrie, in Portland, Oregon. They may not have been the primary reason our family chose to settle Portland, but our connection was definitely a factor. The friendships made because of Twelve by Twelve have been lasting and true, and it pleases me to no end to have finally settled down near family -- not just the biologic kind, but my quilt-mom and quilt-aunt who I found through the magic of our amazing online adventure.

There is no doubt that my different environments have informed my work, and as Twelve by Twelve was a large part of my artwork for five years, it's been interesting to see the changing influences over that period of time.

In Virginia, I had the good fortune to become a member of McGuffey Art Center in Charlottesville, where I enjoyed several years of attending a weekly life drawing group and where I was able to realize the goal formed several years prior of showing my Army wife series of art quilts and other domestic textiles in a gallery setting.

The Army Wife :: McGuffey Art Center, Sept 2014


While in Charlottesville, had the pleasure of being part of another group of talented female fiber artists, Fiber Transformed, and in it found like-minded friends.

With my husband's time in the Army winding down, and our proximity to Washington, DC, my artwork shifted from my personal story towards larger themes of social commentary. My quilt, 'Murica was accepted into Quilt National '15 which realized another goal for me.

'Murica


Just after moving across country to Oregon, and purchasing our very first house, I finished up a work that I had started in Virginia, and am proud to say that it was accepted into the joint SAQA/Textile Museum show Tales of Migration, which has just closed, but enjoyed many months of positive attention and press both in the DC area and in broader reaching publications. My piece, Home is Where The Army Sends Us is about creating community wherever you go.

Home is Where The Army Sends Us :: photo by Mark Frey

Since this piece however, I have been focusing my creative energies on our fixer-upper house. It's been deck build overseeing, bathroom tiling, and lots and lots of painting for the last twelve months. I also took on a part time job at my local quilt shop, The Pine Needle, to help pay for the home renovations. It's been that and so much more, as the job has connected me with many local quilters, and given me the opportunity to sew samples, write patterns, and begin to teach a class or two. Being at the Pine Needle has reignited my love for more utilitarian bed quilts, but there will always be art just below the surface.

Foursquare Quilt :: Pattern available at The Pine Needle Quilt Shop


2015 was a year of transition for me, and I'm not sure where I'll be headed artistically in the years to come, but there is no doubt in my mind that I'll be keeping in touch with my fellow Twelves, and we'll be sharing our stories of art and discovery for many years to come.





1 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow!! From Home is Where... (an AMAZING piece!) to working in a quilt shop writing patterns and teaching classes?! That's quite a change from producing works for the Twelve by Twelve Challenge. Enjoy your new home and I look forward to see what your next textile art will look like!